Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sickies


What a weekend! Thursday I picked up Maddy at Katie's and she was coughing and sounding pretty hoarse. She had had a runny nose and slight fever for the past 3 or 4 days so I figured that the cold was now draining down into her through and causing her to cough. She did have a "barking" cough and I thought "I need to take her in the bathroom with the hot water on!". Well, being Thursday, I left Maddy with Scott and the instructions to take her into the steamy bathroom if it got too bad, and then picked up mom and off we went to choir.

Scott called on our way there and informed me that he was worried. I gave him the name of our pediatrician and he reminded me that I had the car seat. As we walked into the church where our practice was, Scott called again and said that he was really worried after having called the Dr. office and the hospital and wanted to take her in. Since he didn't know how long the wait would be and therefore, didn't want to borrow the neighbors car and car seat, I drove home.

We went to the InstaCare and signed in. I was worried that everyone there would think that we were overreacting. Maddy was happy and talking and nothing seemed to be wrong until she vocalized or coughed. Well, the nurse and doctor both immediately knew it was croup when they saw her. They said it was good that we came in because she could give Maddy an oral steroid and had we not come in, we would have run into trouble that night. I'm glad that Scott is more in tune than I am! Since the steroid, she has been sick still but is sleeping through the nights. I am grateful!

I think that I have the same virus that she does but in me, it is a stuffy/runny nose, a headache, and a fever. So, there you have it. I think I'm off to take a hot bath - that always makes me feel better.

Go Cougars!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sorry you are both sick! You've got to be well enough to sing tomorrow though!
Love you!

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Poor little Maddy. And poor little Melissa. Hope you both feel better soon.

Camilla Millar said...

Scott really was on it- and I'm glad the dcotor was too!

We had a similar experience with Davis, but at the instacare they told us to watch and wait. During the night, I feared for his life and on the way to the pediatrician's office first thing, I was saying prayers that my little boy wouldn't stop breathing. It was THEN that the pediatrician gave him steriods. . . .glad Maddy avoided the drama.

kristi said...

Alex had that a couple weeks ago. Night times are SOOOOOO hard. Glad she's feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Oh Croup is no fun at all, I hope she is feeling better. She is such a cute little girl!