When I throught about Taiwan food, my mind conjured up images of Andrew Zimmern or Anthony Bourdain from the Travel Channel. They wander around the world looking for the most exotic and different foods to try. I was expecting a whole lot of food that was not going to sit well in my stomach. Parts of animals that I normally don't eat and that I figured my stomach would reject. We did see these things in the food court at the Taipei 101 mall. Things like:
Pig Ears
Caramelized Chicken Feet
Crispy Intestines with Pickled Vegetables
Unlike Andrew and Anthony, I was pleased to eat at an assortment of places that mostly (mostly) served what I would eat in the United States. My Taiwanese co-workers were so intrigued with my wanting to photograph my food that towards the end of my visit, they were reminding me as I went in with my fork "Wait, wait! You didn't take a picture!".
Cow Boss
At the night market we stopped in to eat at Cow Boss - a steak house. The meat was not a great cut, and it looked a lot like a Salisbury steak. However, it was edible. The interesting thing was that they had added a cracked egg minutes before presenting it at the table. The plate, being hot, cooked the egg a bit and my friends taught me to stir the egg around and then mix it in with the noodles and vegetables under the meat. Not bad - different.
Awesome Burger
Italian
I'm sad I didn't get the name of this restaurant but it was a great, small little hole in the wall place behind the office. My Spaghetti Bolognese was not disappointing.
Din Tai Fung
I went to Taiwan looking forward to eating at this dumpling house and it did not disappoint. We joined the general manager of our Taiwan office and he told me about how each dumpling has the same number of folds or twists in it. Whatever the case, this was a wonderful meal I truly enjoyed.
It was fun to take a moment to watch the men making the dumplings through the window.
Thai Food

Dessert was a cold, ice, berry, evaporated milk treat. It was good but talk about an ice cream headache!
Ice Monster
Speaking of ice cream - or just ice rather- after having eaten such a big lunch, dinner ended up being a stop at a dessert shop. The big fluff on top was kind of shaved ice - mango flavored, and then a scoop of mango ice cream, sliced mangoes under it all, and a scoop of something that might have been whipping cream but in the consistency of yogurt. Delicious but again, far too cold. Good thing that Taiwan restaurants always serve water at the table slightly warm. Sips of that helped take the cold edge off my throat. It was a rainy day and my shoes were soaked (I'm not kidding, puddles inside my not-real-leather flats) and rain water had crept up my pants halfway to my knees. Downing that large of a serving of ice treat made for a chilly walk back to the hotel.
Not Pictured
(at least, not my pictures)
We ate lunch the first day at a Japanese restaurant. The menu was all in Chinese but there were pictures. This was my least favorite meal as all the things on my plate had the overwhelming taste of seaweed. This did not help much in my hopes of maybe having a week of happy food experiences. However, it was edible and so I figured I could handle it - if not enjoy it.
Each morning we ate at the hotel buffet breakfast. Our hotel was a Western style hotel and served "western" food. Every day I had a glass of orange juice, two eggs of some sort - either omlete with some red peppers or ham or simply fried, and at least one, if not two, chocolate croissants. Oh those chocolate croissants - I could live on those alone.
In Conclusion: Taiwanese food - or at least what they serve to the tourists - was ok, and good, and even wonderful. Nothing at all to be nervous about. I stand pleasantly corrected. Of course, I didn't try the caramelized chicken feet or the stinky tofu . . .














3 comments:
I'm not sure I could do the chicken feet either....
A peanut butter hamburger? Sounds interesting. Who would ever think that PB and a hamburger would go together? I'm not so sure that I would do so well in Taiwan. But you were daring. Way to go!
what is it about you that makes me think you are so neat! love you, aunt lu
Post a Comment