Tuesday, July 2, 2013

holes

 
I was waiting for an "after" picture before I wrote this post but I'm afraid that maybe I'll never get around to it. I want to remember this, so into the blog it goes.

 
A bit ago, we bought 8 honeysuckle plants to plant along the side of the wall. The hopes were that they would grow up and cover the cinder block and keep the junior high kids from spray painting gang signs on the wall. In years past, we planted ivy hoping it would grow up and do the same but it doesn't seem to want to climb without some help.
 
Scott installed some really lovely lattice on the walls and I physically wound some ivy in to help train it to go up. He also built a small wall and filled it with good dirt so that the honeysuckle could have good ground and might actually grow. He said the wall also allowed him to not run the snowblower into the dirt in the winter so double score.
 
One day nearing the end of this project, Maddy came to me and said that she needed me to get my scissors and to cut those big black things from the plants. She had seen me cutting the buckets from the root balls on other plants. I told her that I wasn't ready to plant the honeysuckle yet and that we still had to dig holes. She told me that she had already dug holes - eight in fact.

 
Sure enough, I wandered over and she had correctly counted that we needed eight holes and she had dug them for us. They were a bit too close together to be used but I was so impressed that she had counted the plants and then transfered the knowledge to how many holes she would need, and then dug just the right number. I shouldn't be impressed about these things, she's no dummy - but I constantly am. I hope that these moments and my amazement at her accomplishments never cease. They make me proud to be her mommy. I hope that I gave those moments to my mom and that I continue to do so.


No comments: