Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Decor

On a total side note from the main point of this blog, we were at a YW Pres. meeting and were giggling that the Pres. wrote on the agenda "Decor" with regard to Young Women in Excellence (YWIE). It was interesting that she didn't write "decorations". Why is it that we n ow use decor in regard to our holiday things? Has this become an art? Normal people decorate but true artists create "decor"?

I went to JoAnn's last night in search of little party favor boxes for YWIE (I found these cute boxes that looked like flip flops - perfect for our "Worth of a Sole" theme). I was happy to find that their fall things were 70% off. I have been following the Joys of Home and Thrifty Decor Chick blogs and wanting to be better at decorating my house for the holidays.

I've not done much decorating yet because I don't have much of a finished house to decorate but I thought that by this time next year my living room would be set up and so I would buy stuff for next year. Of course, once I got it home I had to set it up to see what I thought. I'll have to take it all down Saturday when we touch up paint and do the moldings but it looks nice for now. There are things that I'd add next year since it needs a little height. Maybe next year when a picture lives above, this low "decor" will look nice.

The glass pumpkins were $17.99 and $19.99 regularly so were less than $5.50 and $6.00. I got two garlands for $3 a piece and then a few holiday picks for .60 each. A whole mantel set for less than $35. I feel pleased.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love it. Christmas is the only time that I ever pull out stuff and decorate. We're boring. Or maybe it's because I don't want to search through all my boxes in the garage trying to find the decorations that match each holiday. I guess if I were more organized, that wouldn't be the case! :-)

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Love your pumpkins! I have a couple kind of like them on my kitchen counter. I love decorating for holidays. I always have to be really careful when I head into Tai Pan or Hobby Lobby.