Saturday, January 8, 2011

Frustrated!

Maddy is frustrated! She had a crying fit in the car at 11:30 so I brought her home and put her in bed. She's been talking and singing and now is crying and it's 1:08. I worry that if I get her up at this point, I'll just have to try again later. I'm hoping if I leave her just a bit longer she'll fall asleep. So frustrating to be tired but not able to sleep. I feel for her.

I too am frustrated. I decided today to put baseboards and casings in the hall bathroom. We pulled them out years ago when we first moved in and replaced the door. I painted the walls and the sink cabinet and it looks presentable but we never put mouldings back. I suppose Scott figured that we were just going to gut the bathroom and redo it anyway, so why spend the money on mouldings we would just rip out later.

After 4 years, I've decided that the bathroom gutting is low enough on the to-do list and I'm tired of looking at the unfinished walls enough that it's worth the $30 in mouldings. So, this morning I went to Home Depot and bought them. I also bought a miter box because I figured it'd just be easier than trying to haul out the power miter saw which of course is a monster one and is mounted on a big ol' rolling bench.

After cutting the casings for the door, I realized that I don't have any nails that will work for the mouldings. I just need some 2 inch skinny little nails with tiny heads and the nails we have lying around the garage are all monster nails for working with 2x4s. So, one problem already. I decided to move on to baseboards because I could at least cut them an set them in place even if they weren't nailed in. And if I got ambitious, I could pull out the compressor and use the power nailer. I took my first measurement and went to the garage to cut only to find, these great big baseboards are too big to use in the handy miter box I just brought home! I bought the cheap one anticipating I'd only use it for this one project and now I realize that the beefier mouldings won't fit in the cheap one! Problem two.

Well, I figured I'd have to pull out the power saw after all. Except, looks like the dog has chewed through the cord and there is no plug - so the power saw is out. Problem three. Ok, I can still call dad and see if he would lend me his power miter saw . . .and maybe he has some nails . . . Of course, he's not home. :) Problem four.

So, I've got a project that I'd love to work on and can't - a baby that's exhausted and wants to sleep but can't - and instead I suppose I'll go get her up and we'll eat cookies and watch Spongebob Squarepants. So much for our productive Saturday. Frustrating!!

1 comment:

Camilla Millar said...

I so hate it when a simple project becomes such a chore. That just plain stinks.

And the whole "should I wait for the nap to end or not?" thing is a killer. There are no good answers, I think.