So I have a dilemma. I have been called to be a counselor in the Young Women program in our ward (I haven't been set apart yet, does this mean I shouldn't be talking about it?). This is fine in and of itself except that I was sad that I'd have to drop Millennium Choir since our activities are on Wednesdays. I mentioned this to the bishop as we were leaving the meeting and he said "well, just for a month because in September, Mutual moves to Thursday nights" What? This is horrible news! While I didn't feel that bad about having to drop out of Millennium I am sick about having to drop out of the Sally Bytheway Chorale!!!
.
I guess on the one hand, I only have to be out for a year since in twelve months our night will move to either Tuesday (I think there are three wards in our building so Tuesday would make sense) and then the next year to Wednesday . . . I only have to take one year off in every three . . . "glass half full" side of me says that's a deal while the "glass half empty" side says it stinks!
.
I have spent the last 4 days trying to think of ways that I can do both. If we had advisers/teachers for our girls instead of just a Presidency, I'd feel better about not being there but I don't know that I can tell the new Pres. that she and her other counselor are on their own every week - I can't do that can I? I also don't feel good about going back to the bishop to turn down the calling just because I have an extracurricular activity that conflicts. That's not right either is it? My other thought was, maybe I can take turns - one week at Mutual, one week at choir. But then, I'd miss too many rehearsals and though I know my music backwards and forwards, I suppose it's not fair to have me miss so many when other members can only miss 3. So, then I thought, maybe I can just go to half of Mutual each night and be an hour late for choir. There would still be 1 1/2 hours left of each rehearsal . . . Again though, I'm back to the fact that 3 tardies equals an absence so I could be late 9 times and still be technically within the rule but I think there are more than 9 rehearsals.
.
I'm just perseverating on this too much (thanks Linda for that word). I just have to quit don't I? Why is this such a hard conclusion for me to accept? I love this choir! You non-singers just don't understand really what this means. I have been in SBC since the beginning and I'm the section leader and it is such a stress relieving night each week where I get to see my good friends and my sisters and mom and I don't want to stop going for a calling!
.
This is the pits!
6 comments:
Great to see you online! It's been forever and then some since the good old days at Centennial. I hope you figure out a way to stay in the choir - it doesn't seem like too much to ask. I remember how much you loved singing in college and how many times you and Brenda talked about your high school choir. I'm glad to hear you are sticking with it at any rate.
I am so sorry you have to make a tough choice! I hope that something will happen so you can do both the calling that has been inspired to be given to you and the choir you love so much. Maybe the YW presidency wouldn't mind you being gone for the actual activity if you were willing to pick up the slack in preparation for the activities, lesson planning, and stuff like that. I have never been involved with YW, so I don't know, plus our ward has about a bazillion advisors and assistants to the assistant (they take away our Primary people!).
I do hope it works out though!
I started Millennium when I was a counselor in the YW presidency. They had activites on Wednesdays. We had advisors...they didn't ever seem to come to the activities but I went to choir anyhow. There were lots of activities that I was personally in charge of, so I prepared everything and handed it all over to the rest of the presidency before I left for choir. They seemed okay with it. But I had already been in the presidency for awhile when I joined Millennium. Hmm. It is a dilemma. I hate the idea of you not being there. Have you called to talk to Sally yet?
You can do both Mel. Just because you except the call doesn't mean that you have to give up you choir.., even if it is on Mutual night. Dan's been in the YM's for over a year and couldn't attend Mutual. They work it out. You can do more in otehr areas. Remember..., it's all volunteer stuff in the church. You do what you can.
Sorry you are feeling stressed. I think you could manage to do both. I think you will regret dropping out of choir and just doing YW activities. There will be a way to work it all out. I'd wait and see how everything goes. Accept the calling and don't drop out of choir. That's my vote. By the way I love reading your blog. NO I don't have one YET! Love ya
Well.. no one is going to like my answer so I should probably keep it to myself.. I am not like that though! I am sure you have already accepted the calling so BRAVO!
As far as the activities go.. coming from a current YW president it is crucial to have the presidency members at as many activities as possible. This is how you get to know the girls so you know what you should teach to them on Sunday. You can use more personal stories and situations if you have "hung out" with the girls outside of church. You also have a unique situation in that you don't have advisors - you are doing both the activites and teaching. There are usually class activities 2 times a month and joint activities with the YM 1 time a month and all girl 1 time a month. You could possibly miss the jt activites and go to the class ones with your girls.
I also LOVE to sing so I know the dilema of not being in a choir.. right now our ward choir is not the greatest and I am a choir snob so I don't sing with them. I long to be in a choir and wish I had an opportunity like you do. I am sure it will all work out. Just make sure you communicate with the YW president and remember she is new so she may say "oh sure miss the activities" now and regret the decision later so understand that you should check in on occasion to make sure everything is still working out. make sense?
Sorry for the long response... but YW is a passion for me and having the right leaders with the right attitude is crucial.. the girls can tell if you don't want to be there. call me if you want to chat more! love you!
Post a Comment