Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tour of Utah


Today the 2nd stage of the Tour of Utah began at our building this morning. They have been telling us for the past month that this day was coming and to be sure to participate in the event. I didn't realize what a big deal it was until I pulled into the parking lot this morning at 8:30 and it was packed full of riders, cars with bike racks, people in red shirts running around with clipboards, and media people with great big cameras.

After 2 years, the Tour of Utah gained national attention in 2006 because it managed to attract major riders even through it wasn't part of the USA national cycling tour. 19 teams including The Livestrong team (sans Lance Armstrong) are competing this year - that's 152 riders. Individual rider Levi Leipheimer 4 time top-ten finisher in the Tour de France is also racing. Riding with the XanGo team was Bob Roll who is a legend in cycling.

The cyclists pictured above lead the pack this morning after stage one yesterday - a race beginning in Ogden and ending in SLC at Research Park. Left to right they are the Young Rider, KOM, Sprinter, Leader, and #190 is Levi Leipheimer.
Today's Stage Two ends at the top of Mt. Nebo - an 81 mile ride climbing 4,555 feet. Stage Three is a time trial at Miller Motorsports Park, Stage Four is around Park City, and the final stage, Stage Five, is from Park City, climbing 10,900 feet and riding 96 miles to end at Snowbird.

It was really, really awesome to stand on the side of the road as they all came by on their practice loop - the speed that they were going (even in the warm-up) put off an enormous amount of wind!
This was a neat experience and I'm glad that I was able to participate. Maybe I'll follow the Tour de France on TV next year.

2 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

That tight pack of riders....that's what my leg is going to be like on Lotoja. I'm the first leg when everyone is leaving all at the same time. I'm a little nervous to be riding that tightly with everyone else!!! :)
Very, very cool that all these major riders are here for this race! And how awesome that you got to watch it all this morning.

Mary said...

I would be nervous too with everyone so close together. What would happen if one person biffs it right there? It would be a domino effect with everyone else falling over too. That might be kind of funny. Well, for the spectators...maybe not so much for the riders. Crazy!