Thursday, February 9, 2012

my daddy is my favorite pal

I come from a family of sisters. You all know that. Well, I always fancied myself the "boy" of the family. I loved to be out in the yard helping dad after school or on the weekends. I have fond memories of my "helping" which usually involved things like following behind him in the garden in the freshly tilled dirt in my bare feet or behind him in the mower tracks getting green feet. I remember holding branches over the garbage can so he could cut them into smaller pieces, handing over nails and screws and picking up tools from the ground so he didn't have to come down from the ladder.

Over the years this graduated into more substantial roles. I remember when her first let me paint a wall - I think I was only allowed the primer coat. I learned how to grill a decent medium steak on the back patio. I learned how to change tires, air filters, headlights, oil and filters. Eventually I worked my way up to my college years when I changed the breaks on my car and dad sat back and read to me from the manual and handed me tools.

He must have thought that I did a good job because it was around then that have gave me a nice, good quality Makita cordless drill for Christmas. I cried when I opened it. No, not because "what 20 year old girls wants a cordless drill . . ." I think it brought me to tears because I admire my dad so much and I want to be like hime and I'd been a "helper in training" for so long, this just seemed like his stamp of approval on my abilities.

I love my dad. I love my mom too and there is more than enough for me to write a post about her. But when I saw Scott and my Maddy out working together in the garage on Tuesday evening, I was flooded with memories and knew that I had to write a post thanking you, dad, for all you have taught me. You taught me to work, and to not be afraid of tools and so many other things. I love you oh so much.

Happy Birthday!

I am thankful today and every day that Heavenly Father gave me such a wonderful set of parents to belong too.

3 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Oh sure. Now I'm crying. Thanks a lot! :)

Rachel said...

Yup - just like Sarah said. You got to do the good helping though - apparently. I only ever got to hand nails and snap the chalk lines...or be hoisted into the garbage can to stomp the tree limbs down...I just love our Daddy!

Mary said...

I love our Daddy!