Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Girl's Camp

Now, I know you probably don't care to hear a blow by blow of my girls camp experience so I'll try to highlight the experience and only mention the interesting points. The good thing about my being late on blogging about the trip is that the "rose has lost its blush" and I'm not quite as excited to share every little detail anymore.

We left for girls camp on Wednesday morning. Our camp was at a church owned site called Aspen Meadow. It was aptly named as there wasn't much to this camp but a great big meadow. Two of the ward groups were in a site that had some tree coverage (thankfully we were one) but the other groups were all out in said meadow under the 100 degree sun. It was remarkable how hot it could be in the day but be so very cold each evening.

I have only been to girls camp as a leader twice before and those times I was the assistant camp director, and then most recently the camp director. It was a bit weird to be there without being in charge. I helped wherever I was asked to help and I took it upon myself to be the sunscreen Nazi - "did I spray you this morning? Have you protected your neck and your face? When was the last time you had a drink of water?"
The theme was boot camp. I recall as a youth myself having an army theme. My forth year when I was a youth leader, the theme was M.A.S.H. We had a really wonderful time getting to know each other better and bonding as a ward. Within the year we combined with several streets and gained a few new girls and new leaders. Up to this point I think there was still a bit of difficulty feeling like "us" rather than "the new part" and "the old part". Girls camp is always a wonderful opportunity to bond and unify.
the obstacle course
my first time doing tye-dye
of course there was a skit
We came home on Saturday afternoon with no major sunburns or heat stroke - no cuts or bruises of any major nature. It was a good trip (kind of short for a girl's camp) and we were exhausted. I was so excited to see Maddy and Scott and was a bit disappointed to come home and not have them there. "They'll be home any time" I thought so I passed the time by putting away my camping gear, throwing everything from my bag into the washing machine, taking a shower, and then (since they still weren't home) laying down for a quick nap. Two hours later then came home after having spent the afternoon at Jungle Jim's. Maddy was as excited to see me as I was to see her!

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I haven't been to girls camp since I was a leader in Magna. I live girls camp vicariously through my girls. And I'm totally okay with that! :) I'm glad you had such a great time.