Thursday, April 24, 2014

February in review

In February, I was pleased to have opportunity to work again with Lex de Azevedo in his recording studio. I joined  the UVU Institute choir and Katie and Georgia in the soprano section recording a song that will someday be on the album Alleluia: The Life of Christ Part 2. Lex is living in Brazil these days but all that sand and surf has been inspiring him and he is writing this final piece to go along with Gloria, part 1 and Hosanna, part 3. Recording a song that will be one day on a CD is such a neat but also humbling experience. Each voice is scrutinized and each entrance has to be perfect. I am constantly checking myself "Am I sticking out?", "Do I have enough support?", "Am I keeping vibrato in check without sounding to young and breathy?" It is full of long hours but I drive away late in the day thinking to myself "what would my high school self say about one day working in a recording studio!" I realize, I'm no 'recording artist' or anything fancy like that, but it is a privilege to be able to add this new facet to my singing experience repertoire. It does give me insight into what goes into making an album so what I enjoy when I play a song on my CD or iPhone means a bit more. 

Also on the music front, I spent every Sunday night directing the Stake Choir in preparation for Stake Conference. After singing in the stake choir I had been itching to try my had with the group since there were such great men! So when the Stake Music Chairman called and told me that she had shingles and asked would I fill in, I was pleased to take on the added stress. It made for very busy Sunday's and lots of planning and thinking during the week, but I told Scott this was good stress. Yes, it kept me a bit on edge, but I believe that if I always accept assignments and callings in the church I will not only be blessed for obedience and willingness, but I will learn and gain personal, spiritual insights and enlightenment which, through the stress, will manifest in joy. Joy and happiness are not synonymous, neither are joy and relaxation. In fact, probably not even joy and fun! That is definitely evident when looking at parenting. Lots of joy, not always happiness and relaxation and fun. It was a great experience, the choir scared me for a bit because we didn't have a huge group, but it the end people came, and sang beautifully, and I was pleased with them, and I felt joy.


In other news, Mom and Dad and Scott all had birthdays. Maddy and took presents to grandma and grandma scooter-ride and they showed us the wonderful cake and cupcakes that Katie and her crew had brought over that day. Where there is a cake, Maddy feels there should be a candle, so they kindly fulfilled her wishes by making their own.   





Scott also had a birthday and we went to Franck's - his favorite French restaurant. We were sad to hear that Franck Pissel is  no longer the head chef at Franck's. Franck's not run by Franck - go figure.

The food still looked as pretty as ever and was very good but not quite the same. Still Franck's ideas, but not done with quite the perfection we are used to. Bummer. Scott is feeling disillusioned. I feel like I've been cheated on. Apparently he hasn't been the chef there for several months! Boo.

We actually had a big trip at the end of February to DISNEY WORLD but that deserves a post in and of itself so, thus ends another monthly update.

No comments: