Tuesday, April 22, 2014

November in review

November was an interesting and busy month. I was promoted to be the Chief Financial Officer at work. While I was, and am still, so flattered and honored to be promoted, I am still trying to find my way in this new role. There were a few big fires left to put out when my predecessor left and then the controller quit and so it left me looking to find a tax director and a controller and doing three jobs, the big one being the shoes I was least comfortable filling. So, some really great November activities of course helped to keep me on track and happy and remembering that there is more to life than late nights at work.
Niece Rebekah sang the national anthem with her Davis High Madrigal group at the Grizzlies hockey game. Sarah and Lilian, and Maddy and I went to watch the game and to support the singers. We dragged Scott along with us to be the commentator for the game. I have to admit, hockey is definitely more interesting with him to tell me the rules and explain strategy behind the fights. Believe it or not, they are not just because hockey players are all angry or because it brings in the crowds (though it does bring in the crowds unfortunately).
 
The Saturday after Thanksgiving Sarah got tickets for me and mom and her to the Messiah Sing-In with the Utah Symphony in Abravanel Hall. I so enjoyed singing the choruses with the big orchestra and while I did know a good number of the songs, I learned that it's no so easy to sight read your way through Handel! Luckily, Mom sat between me and Sarah and she sang soprano so I leaned on her to keep me on my part. I was super impressed with how well she knows this music and how well she did singing those high soprano notes considering she sings alto in choirs these days. My Mom rocks!

  
And the best for last! (that makes me feel like singing the Messiah with my mom and sister wasn't the best, which it was - but, well . . . we're talking about The Bubbley!!!)
 
The Michael Buble concert. Oh, this boy can sing! I have about a hundred pictures that I took but they are all on another computer so this quick iPhone photo we will have to suffice. Sarah is my Michael Buble companion. She of course is a bigger fan of Josh Groban but The Bubbley wins out in my book. He sings with that Frank Sinatra style that I do so love. It was such a fun concert and we had some great seats. So glad that my best friends are my sisters so we can go do these fun things together.
 

No comments: