Thursday, September 3, 2015

Dematic Zoo Day


Dad's company Dematic had their family Hogle Zoo day and luckily kids with grandchildren in tow are allowed so Maddy and I joined Katie and her kids and Sarah, Bryan and Lilian. They had a nice (hot) breakfast at the pavilion right at the beginning of the day and also had wonderful face painting. You know we love a good face paint.





The kids each got something, a butterfly for Mad, rainbow cheetahs for Lilian and Ally, a wolf for Jackson, a dinosaur for Dalton, and a polar bear for Holly.



My favorite part of the face paint was that Dalton looked like he was in a perpetual state of flared nose. Hee hee. Also, and I wish I had a picture, mom went back and got a "small" butterfly on her cheek. Granted it wasn't half  her face like the other kids but it wasn't also a tiny little guy either. I love that mom is spontaneous and wanted to bond with the kids.






This Polar Bear (Holly's favorite animal and probably my favorite this zoo trip)! He kept walking over to the edge of the pool then pushing off with his back legs and floating back on his back, walking back to the wall and pushing off again. He did it several times. I do that! I do exactly that in the pool. kick off with my legs to feel the rush of water against my back and when the momentum dies and I start to drop, I put my legs back, swim back to the wall and push off again. Made me like this guy because we have some common habits.








The zoo had several life-size dinosaurs (I guess they were life-size? who knows) around the park. When Maddy and were here for Kindergarten field trip a few months back they weren't there. I thought the boys would like them more than they did. The girls didn't much care for them either. Ho-hum.


They did like looking at the pretty butterfly's and the creepy spiders and scorpions. Gross. Even dead, just gross.


Fun, fun (hot!) day. While I will admit that going to the zoo with just my own child to wrangle is nice, it was really fun to have the kids together to play and look at things together and I like having my sibs to talk with too. I think that Bryan might choose to pass on the whole excursion next year but I'm glad that he came so he is part of the kiddo's memories.

I remember going to the zoo in Kansas City back when Mary and cousin Jim were baptized and I don't remember anything at all about what we saw but I do remember that my aunts and uncles and cousins were all there and I have fond feelings about it. Hopefully this trip will be a great memory for Maddy and the other kids when they are old and feeble minded like I'm becoming.




No comments: