Did I write about how Scott looked over at me sitting at the table and started laughing because my feet were so swollen? It was a very funny moment (luckily I had a good day and wasn't feeling emotional) and he got me really laughing too. He was so surprised because he had seen my fat ankles but not in a dress. He kept commenting on how they just went straight down from knees to toes with no real variation. So, here is a picture of my ugly legs. The bad thing is that the only think I'm comfortable in these days is either a pair of Scott's sweats or a dress. the dress of course is the current work outfit and it means that I can't hide my tree trunk legs. Oh well, I suppose it makes people feel bad for me right?
This picture was taken last Thursday at 38 1/2 weeks. I'm looking pretty round. www.babycenter.com said that the baby at 39 weeks is similar to a small watermelon. Yup, that's what it looks like - like I stuffed a small watermelon up my dress!Today I had an appointment with the Doctor and I was hoping for some good news. I had contractions all day Sunday and Monday morning that were more painful and closer together so I figured that things might be progressing a little. Well, not so much. I have gone from the 1 cm that I've been for the last 3 weeks and am now a whopping 1.5 cm. Still 80% effaced and not only is she not dropping, I am measuring bigger each week! I asked about his thoughts on inducing and he blamed the hospital with the fact that they don't like the doctors to induce earlier than a week beyond the due date. He said that sometimes he can come up with a "reason" for inducing (he personally likes to induce because everyone can plan better) but with me not even being a 2 yet, he doesn't think that he can do anything for me at this point. So, at our appointment next Monday on my due date we'll have to see where things stand and whether he can come up with an excuse to induce.
I had to have Linda take me to lunch while I cried with disappointment into a Diet Coke. I think I'm okay now except that I really don't want to come to work anymore. Scott, being the practical guy he is, told me to work through it because he said I'd regret taking vacation time now and then having to come back to work earlier. He's so pragmatic and generally right. I will probably hate to leave Madelyn earlier than I have to. So, here I am, back at work but with my mind very much elsewhere.

10 comments:
Oh, Melissa, hang in there!!!!!! The last few weeks are the absolute hardest. Every day seem likes a month. Just remember, it will end. Biologically, it will end. You've never met a woman who was pregnant for life, have you?
It is so disappointing when you think you should have progressed further and you barely did. With Mackenzie I was at 3 cm for 2 weeks in a row! The next week I was at a 4, and my doctor decided to induce me the next day.
My SIL was induced with her first baby, but with the 2nd she wanted to go into labor on her own. Her doctor was willing to induce her a week before her due date, but she just wanted it to be more natural. Well, she got more natural than she asked for, because she ended up delivering in the ER in the middle of the night, within 10 minutes of getting there!
You are probably sick of people sharing their delivery stories, or stories of other people, so I will stop.
But I hope you get to meet your baby girl soon!
And Scott is right, you will be much happier using the time after she is born than sitting around at home feeling too big to do anything. (You look so cute, by the way! And be glad you aren't pregnant in the summer! Your feet and ankles would have been elephant size!)
Sorry for the rambling! Love you!
Wow! FLs! But give it another week or so and you'll be back to your tiny little self. And you'll have a delightful little girl who will make everything you've gone through worth it. I speak from experience about delightful little girls.
Love you,
Dad
Go home and stay home! Relax and rest up now.., because you really won't get that chance for awhile! :)
Also.., I love the sausage feet picture!
Awww, hang in there! I'm glad Linda was there for you. What a good girl friend she is. Enjoy what you can before your bebe arrives, even though you are SO ready!! (What do I know, I've never been pregnant! lol) But I'm wishing you the best!!!!
I totally remember my ankles getting so swollen. I remember being positively giddy after the babies were born because I could see my ankle bones again...and my oh my they were so skinny!
Good luck in the coming days. We'll be thinking about you.
Ah Melissa, I feel for you. I had huge ankles too. I think Treg called them "cankles"...calf/ankle.
I have to admit, I'm a little surprised you are that big. I mean, you are a Dalton any we always get huge. But seeing as it's your first baby I figured you'd be a bit smaller. But it's a beautiful, pregnant, big so it's all good, I promise. And I'm so sorry you are so miserable. The last few days are like that. Hang in there! I love you!
I can't believe how close you are getting. I am so excited. It gets really hard waiting near the end but Madeline will be here soon. Can't wait to hear the birth story and see pictures of your little one.
Best wishes
I'm glad you took a picture of your trunk legs so that when they are back to slim prettiness you will remember how really swollen they were! And how very, very big you have gotten with your first baby. Such a tiny girl to have such a big stomach. You won't remember after you have had little Maddy so it is good to have a picture.
Love you,
Mommy
It's amazing how fast the time seems to fly by! Any day now. I absolutely LOVED the picture of your cankles! Thanks for sharing that with all of us. They will go back to normal and it will be hard to believe that they were so big :) Can't wait to meet your new little girl. Take care of yourself!
Love,
Marie
Post a Comment