Sunday, September 13, 2009

The garden

For the past few months (since I've been so stingy with my blogging) my post about my herb garden has been front and center and has been calling me to update. I'm afraid to say, my garden isn't looking so well. Scott's dog Avery knocked over all but the Thyme and my tomatoes . . . well, I bottled these Saturday afternoon.
I did 3 batches and only had 2 that didn't seal I'd love to say that I grew these myself but alas, I'm afraid that my plants didn't do so well. Though my two tomato plants got fairly big, they didn't produce more than 2 or 3 tomatoes the size of grape tomatoes. Hm, maybe I planted a grape tomato plant by accident, yes, let's go with that.
I had a few tomatoes from Grandma'dele and a few from mom so I supplemented with two bushels from the fruit stand. Scott figures that I spent $2 a bottle and that I could have just purchased cans of whole tomatoes for cheaper. I suppose he's right but there is nothing better than a jar of tomatoes you bottled yourself.
"Next year" I told him. Next year I will plant tomatoes in my garden for $1 a plant and will grow enough for 20 quarts. Then, it will be cheaper to bottle. (please don't hold me to that ok?)

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh I'm jealous of your tomatoes. I've succumbed to buying mine in the can. Sigh. You are right: there is nothing better than bottled tomatoes. Are you having spaghetti for dinner soon?

Liz said...

The tomatoes look wonderful. I tried the container garden this year too, without too much success. We got a few tomatoes, but the birds would peck at them if I didn't pick them early enough. Hopefully next year will be better!

LindaO said...

I love your tomato jars. They look so pretty! I was telling Dan that I'm not sure this whole garden thing is cheaper in the longer run. So far I've done..., 9 quarts of tomaotes..., 6 quarts of spaghetti sauce..., a zillon of salsa. I have tomatoes coming out my ears which is great.., but I hate that I have to can around their schedule of when they are ripe and not what works for me!

kristi said...

That crazy Avery... :) Although it looks like you did a great job. And I'm sure they will taste much better than store bought!