Saturday morning we got up for a lazy breakfast at 8, puttered around until around 11, and then headed to see the town of Ouray. On the way there, we pulled of the highway to take some pictures of pictographs. I imagine they are ancient! I call this, man with long arms.
Then, on our way to Ouray. We were bound for the hot springs. The drive was a little bit further than we anticipated (about 4 hours round trip) but the drive through the mountains was beautiful and the hot spring pool was so relaxing. The town of Ouray reminds me of Park City in that it is an old mining town, but it is less expensive. I really enjoyed it. And, you can't beat sitting in a hot pool with the mountains towering over you!
Saturday night while I was in the middle of making spaghetti for dinner (yum) the power went out in the valley. Luckily, we were using a gas stove so we found some candles and ending up having a nice little dinner by candlelight. After about 2 hours the lights came back on which was nice considering that when the power goes out, the well pump does too so we had no water with which to flush toilets! We were getting a bit desperate and were starting to think of creative bathroom solutions before bed.
Monday morning we got up and tidied up the place. We got back into our jeeps and headed back to Moab for a quick stop at Hole N" The Rock.
I've driven past this place several times but never stopped. I thought it had to do with the pioneers and dropping a wagon down a ledge with ropes - not so. This Hole N" the Rock was actually a diner at some point. The Christensen's used it as a stopping place on the way between Moab and Monticello and blasted 14 rooms out of the rock to be their home.
We didn't take the 12 minute tour through the house but I did sneak my camera up and over the partition and took an forbidden photo so you could see a bit.
I've driven past this place several times but never stopped. I thought it had to do with the pioneers and dropping a wagon down a ledge with ropes - not so. This Hole N" the Rock was actually a diner at some point. The Christensen's used it as a stopping place on the way between Moab and Monticello and blasted 14 rooms out of the rock to be their home.
We didn't take the 12 minute tour through the house but I did sneak my camera up and over the partition and took an forbidden photo so you could see a bit.
Once we ate lunch we headed towards home. The closer we got the more and more excited I was to see Maddy. She had been at grandma and grandpa's house in Payson and after our call on Sunday, I knew that she wasn't missing me at all. She had so many cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents vying for her attentions and smiles, that I know she probably never had to cry for anything even once!We drove in and sure enough, Maddy kind of just looked at us and was like "ho hum, I have my cousin Caroman here playing with me and you are home now - whatever". Boy, you don't know that you have missed someone until you see them again! It was a nice break from being a mommy but I was so glad to see her again.
So, that it is. A novel for sure - maybe just a novelette. Scott is reassured that we can still do some things sans children, I am reassured that I can function and not just cry sans children, and Maddy just exists. In case you haven't seen enough pictures, they are all here. Life is good. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for loving Maddy all weekend. We love you!
ps - bonus points to those who know why my title is weird . . . it's from a song . . .
8 comments:
I saw your title and immediately began singing! :-)
What a great little vacation. And I'm proud that you caught, cleaned and ate your fish. I will catch them, but refused to do any of the rest.
A paradox, a paradox, a most ingenius paradox! I'm singing too. :)
Sounds like a really fun trip. I'm glad you got a little break!
Yes, yes, I'm singing too, but can you name the song? It's the major general's song from the Pirates of Penzance. Do I get the prize? Is it chocolate? Or maybe a trout? I have to admit I was thinking of Paradise, CO, until I read the last line in your lovely, long blog. And then I started singing and knew what the Paradox reference was to. I probably couldn't have done that without having just seen Pirates with Sarah.
CUTE picture of Maddy juggling the ball. Caroman taught her an amazing trick!
Love, Mommy
It's not the Major General's song...it's the trio with Frederic, Ruth and the Pirate King. Trust me...this I know all too well!
Loved the pictures and vacation stories! Looks like you had a blast!
Umm.., did you really use that scrapbooking picture of me??? I have cute photos for you guys. When are you going to come get them??? :) The new season of American's Next Top Model started and it made me think of you! I made Dan watch it with me :)
Yep, starting singing right away. Love that musical. Makes me think of my sisters!
Glad you had such fun!
WOW - I have driven by Hole in the Rock a million times too but never stopped. And I'm VERY impressed at you taking care of your own fish. Nice! Do THAT for a primary song practice skill!! ha ha
Bathroom solution: you can fill the top of the toilet tank with water manually--but I guess that only works if the well has enough water pumped.
Post a Comment