Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thrive 2009

Last week at this time, I was working our Annual Convention at the Salt Palace. I get the opportunity each year to spend 4 days at the Hospitality Desk. I am always amazed at how kind and good people are. I get to meet people from all around the world, from different religions, from different socio-economic backgrounds . . . and everyone is happy and excited to be there.

Our keynote speaker was Doug Wead. He talked about how when he was younger he took a class or two of Spanish in school but dropped out. "I could have learned a second language if I wanted to, I just didn't". He talked about how he started taking clarinet lessons and decided it was too hard. "So what if I can't play an instrument, I could have if I wanted to, I just didn't". He talked about how he didn't play basketball in school or learn to type. "The only difference between you and me is that you learned how and I didn't". He emphasized that now is the time to do all these things that we want to if we don't want to spend the rest of our lives saying "I could have . . ."

I spend so much time over the four days helping people and being buoyed up by people that I leave with a much better outlook on life. People are good and kind and entertaining and really a lot of fun. I think I forget that the rest of the year when I sit at my desk and talk to accountants (no offence meant to my fellow accountants). I also left the convention weekend with sore feet, tight shoulders, no voice, no sleep, a dirty house, a husband and daughter who don't remember me, and a great desire to return to my normal job!

Go XanGo!

ps, props to Scott for being a great single dad from Wenesday through Saturday night!

3 comments:

kristi said...

That's great advice. I think I do that a lot... look back at the "what ifs". I need to do better - THANKS!

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Sounds like exhausting fun.

Brian and Janean Lulloff said...

Ahhh! The good times. I have been thinking about past conventions all month and wishing I was there. That really was one of the best weeks of the year!