I voted yesterday. It was the first time I have voted in a primary election I think. The last time a big vote was needed (Obama vs. McCain) I went to vote but in the back of my mind thought "why does it matter? I live in Utah and one more republican voting for McCain won't make a bit of difference". Because we have the electoral voting system, it doesn't matter how many Utah's vote each way, it just matters who wins from the state. So, I've been feeling a bit disenfranchised about voting.
With the primary elections though, I actually have a voice! My vote for which republican is on the ballot might actually make a difference. It made me feel a bit more empowered and so I went yesterday afternoon and voted. I realized that I still didn't know the issues or the candidates very well (I did do some research and reading before I went to vote) and I'll have to work harder in November to make sure I know the issues better. But, I voted. And I feel good about it!
Go USA!
3 comments:
I'm feeling guilty because I didn't go vote. And a guy from our neighborhood was actually on the ballot as some state rep. (Luckily he won and will be moving on to the November election.) Usually I do vote. Because I feel like it is a privilege and a duty as an American citizen. I enjoy going to vote. But yesterday I spent the entire day in my pajamas getting the house clean and getting the girls ready for camp. I should've gone anyhow but just...didn't. Did I mention I feel bad about it? Yay you for going!!!
By the way....you are more than welcome to come to Cherry Hill with us any time. I'm sure Maddy would love it and I'd love hanging out with you!
Good for you! Daddy and I have arranged it so we vote by mail-in ballot. How nice not to go stand in line, though you miss that party feel of being with your neighbors to vote. The really big problem is that you make up your mind about who you are going to vote and send in your ballot early, so then all the ad blitzes make you wonder if you made the wrong decision or you get annoyed by all the phone calls because you have already voted!
Mommy
Post a Comment