Tuesday, October 12, 2010

mother's intuition

Madelyn is sick! I hate this. She woke up with a fever Monday morning - 102.5 by 6:30 that evening it was 103.8. When I called the pediatrician they suggested I give her Motrin and watch her behavior. He said, "it's more about her behavior than the temperature".

I am trying to not be a hypochondriac but I just don't know whether I should take her to the doctor. I don't' want to be one of those mom's that the doctor sees coming and says "oh, it Mrs. so-and-so again." they he checks her and sends her home and says - "give her Tylenol". But at the same time, after now two days of fever in the 103 range, should I be more worried? The doctor last night said to see if medicine brought the fever down - it does, to watch for really lethargic behavior - she only is sort of lethargic when her medicine has worn off and not "really" lethargic, and to call if she has a hard time waking up - so should I try to wake her up to test that?

This mothering thing is hard. I don't call because I think she's doing okay and because I figure "a mother knows" right? But what if I'm just not practiced enough yet and I don't actually know? What if I make a bad call here and her brain gets damaged from having a fever too long? These are the stupid thoughts that enter my head and then I think - please, I'm not that out of touch that I'd let her go that long - to where she'd get brain damage. I at least keep it down with medicine so she can't get to that point - right?

I think I'm going to give in after Maddy gets up from her nap. If her fever returns to the 103 range when the Motrin wears off at 4:30, we'll hit the doctors office - maybe the KidsCare simply so that I can stop second guessing my "mother's intuition".

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I'm with you! I obviously don't have kids but I would take her in to be sure, since it's been going on a few days.

Margaret said...

I hope everything is ok! I hate those high fevers. My panic level is 101. If it gets to that, I call the doctor or go in. I've said that to other moms and they hinted that might be overkill, and then someone else told me she calls her pediatrician at least once a week. I think we are all right. It's just really, really hard!