Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Europe

I am in Europe with two colleagues driving from country to country to meet advisors for work. It has been such fun to see the country by car and really be able to see what Europe looks like - you miss that in a plane and even a bit on a train ride.
.
In Milan, we visited the Duomo. This was my favorite cathedral from my visit to Italy last year so it was nice to see it again and this time we took the stairs up to the roof and looked around the city. It was a lot of stairs but worth it! Next stop was Zurich. This was looking out across the lake (sorry, I don't know the name of the lake but it was very picturesque).
Next up, on the way from Zurich to Munich, we took a side trip to the Bavarian alps to see the castle of King Ludwig II of Bavaria. The castle is called Neuschwanstein castle and unfortunatly, we got their too late. So, instead we toured the castle of King Ludwig's father, the one down the hill that Ludwig was raised in. It was almost a Tuscan style. This is Hohenschwangau Castle
We reached Munich and went to a restaurant called Ratskeller in the basement of the Munich government/town hall building. The next day we returned to see the 11:00 caroling of the bells -or glockenschpiel. There were little people in the tower that went around in circles and danced. Very German.

Then today, we transferred from Munich to Heidelberg, Germany and didn't have time to walk up to the old castle but did get some pictures. I am writing from my hotel in Amsterdam, it is 1:02 in the morning but because of jet lag it doesn't feel like it. I will be exhausted in the morning though! Perhaps I'll post some photos from Holland tomorrow.

Top of the morning to ye!

3 comments:

LindaO said...

I'm so excited to finally see a post! It feels like I haven't spoken to you in years. I'm also happy to see that my former coat made it to Europe as well. Kind of makes me feel like I'm there with you. Dan says that if he didn't know you, he might think you were a bit snooty with all your references to your previous travels to Europe and all. Can't wait to see you and hear all about your trip!

Leslie said...

Mel, this is awesome!!!! I'm jealous you get to see Europe, but really happy for you that you get to travel with people that want to see it as much as you do. Better than last year eh?! Nice going on the post. Looking forward to more!!!

Katie said...

Jealousy! I would love to see all that you are seeing. Someday, Jeremy is going to have to take me back to Germany and then maybe we can do some of the touring you are doing.