Thursday, January 26, 2012

What time should I come . . .

Last night I went visiting teaching. One of the women we teach informed us that she and her live-in mother are moving in March to Arizona. The mother is sliding into alzheimers disease and Diane is single. She doesn't have family in Utah to help so Sandra (my companion) asked if there was anything we could do to help with the move. Diane said she’d think of something.

Most normal Christian people would then say “let me know”. Instead Sandra said “I can come this Saturday. What time should I come”. 

I was impressed. I think Diane was caught a bit off guard as well by the genuine nature of the offer and stammered "well, I’m up and moving by 8 or 9". So, we have an appointment at 8am Saturday to go through food storage and pitch things that have gone bad. Too often I offer my service but deep down, I kind of hope I get credit for the offer but don't actually get called upon for help. I truly am willing to help if they do need me but if they never call, that little part of me is a bit relieved. However, I learned a good lesson about service and about truly being willing to help. I don't condemn those (me included) who say "let me know". I truly do think we have honest intentions and willing hearts. However, I have learned a lesson about making my actions be in harmony with my words. What a valiant example of being a good visiting teacher Sandra is.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I really like that. I wish I was more of a "Diane" person. What a great trait to have.

kristi said...

That's really cool Melissa! I'm with you. I ALWAYS ask if I can do something and truly would love to help out - but sometimes I need to just push and say "I'm doing this!" because I always say "I'm good" to my visiting teachers but sometimes I do have something - I'm just too chicken to ask!! :) ha ha. I'm glad you're going to help. I didn't know they were moving. Hope that works out for them!

kristi said...

How did this turn out??????