But despite all that, things are moving along in our kitchen. I need to clean up the kitchen and then take some pictures for you of how things are looking. But for now, I'll brag on my recovering of the kitchen chairs. Eventually we will probably get a new kitchen dining set but for now, a little change on the kitchen chairs goes a long way to update them.
Dad reminded me that there is a lot of history in this dining set. . .
"Mommy and I put the blue seat covers on many years ago. At one time, back when we bought those chairs in the 1950s, they had a floral pattern. This is at least the third iteration. Maybe even the fourth. In fact, I seem to remember that perhaps these chairs had a red and green plaid on them before the blue. Hmmm. I remember totally refinishing the table and chairs in our garage on Quailstone. Indeed, the chairs had gotten separated somewhere along the way and one or more had been painted. Probably that was the one with the plaid seat. Anyway, we stripped off the paint and refinished and reseated them into a complete set again. Turned out pretty nice, actually."
All that history is what makes my sentimental side scream "Out with the new - keep the old!" For now, that's just what we'll do. Unfortunately, a young, bored Toby chewed a chair leg or two back in the puppy days and we'd probably have to find someone who could fabricate a new leg to match the correct shape. A dining set from the 50's is likely not worth the money.


A little fabric, new cushions and some tacks to keep everything together and I say they look pretty sharp. I love DIY projects especially on a stay-home-from-work day while watching Hocus Pocus on the television!

1 comment:
Love, love, love how the chairs turned out! Makes them look at lot less formal and oldish...
Post a Comment