Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The amazing Joe Satriani

 
At the end of August Scott and I drove to Las Vegas to see Joe Satriani perform. This guy is probably the best technical guitarist  in the world. I Loved it. He was so great and so humble and I am incredibly impressed with his talent. I don't know a ton about guitar playing but Scott does and he tells me great things about this guy. I didn't expect to enjoy the show nearly as much as I did.
 
While we were there, we also saw Journey in concert - that was a treat. It was a good concert but not nearly as good as the Satriani show interestingly enough.
 
Of course, any vacation includes finding some great places to eat.
 
We found Battista's "Hole in the Wall". It was truly a hole in the wall. The food was good and the atmosphere was fun. This place clearly has been around for quite some time with pictures of all the greats visiting the joint along the wall (Andy Griffith was in our booth).  The place was a bit expensive for the quality but we assume that with the free wine, of which we did not partake, it came out to be a reasonably priced meal.

The Hofbräuhaus!
 
I stopped at the original which in Munich, Germany many years ago on a business trip. Scott didn't remember the name of "This German place that I've been told we have to try" so I was pleased to find it was something familiar to me. We had german potato salad and Wiernerschnizel - delicious.  



We found a great Mexican resturant off the strip that had the best homemade guacamole and pork carnitas.


The big restaurant we actually pre-planned to visit (all the others we just found the morning of our meal) was our Bouchon - a Thomas Keller restaurant. Thomas Keller is an American chef who is famous in the food world, not to be confused with the famous chefs from the Food Network world. I'll admit, I'd never heard of him until I read a book my mom gave Scott for Christmas about a big International cooking competition called the Bocuse d'Or but he's a BIG DEAL!



a crock of foie gras made Scott very happy

 
We had a great time even though it was Las Vegas (we are not really Las Vegas fans). The best part of any of our couples trips is of course, driving through Payson with anticipation at seeing my Madelyn! We love having time as a couple but oh how wonderful to come home to our baby.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

We're heading to Vegas in February for our annual gymnastics trip. Maybe we'll have to check out some of these yummy places.
Still jealous you got to see Journey....