Tuesday, October 1, 2013

the gooser

I had a great birthday last week. It seems that after about 18, your birthdays come and go with little fanfare - certainly without parties and games. But 37 for me will be one to remember.
 

 
I had been at the convention center all day and came home to Scott cooking peppercorn steak dinner with roasted red potatoes and a green apple, fennel, red onion salad (my husband is such a good cook!). Maddy was decorating the kitchen with streamers and balloons. Upon seeing me, she quickly informed me that she was the boss and that I should help her blow up balloons.
 
While I was trying (and failing) to blow up those long balloons that are used for balloon animals, she ran to get me a birthday crown to wear.
 
 
We decorated paper airplanes and then went outside to have a flying contest.


After a yummy dinner Maddy took me to her room and showed me her animals all set up in a circle to play duck, duck, goose. Because it was my birthday I got to be "the gooser" and Maddy was one of "the duckers". I tried to get her to play something that didn't involve me running her various dolls and stuffed animals around the circle and we finally decided to sing songs and tell stories. Had to change into our feety pajamas for that part of course - can't have singing and stories in your day clothes!
 

I had forgotten how sweet a simple birthday party can be. I'm grateful to Scott and Maddy for giving me a great birthday and one that will be remembered and cherished for a long time! I love my family.

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Isn't it sweet how excited little ones get for birthdays....even when it isn't their own? Lilian was so super excited to show me the birthday banner she and Rebekah made for me and all the cards she instructed all her siblings to write for me.