I just finished a book that left me so mad! (I'll try not to spoil the book for other readers by mentioning names - Katie you know what book this is so maybe you should just skip this post).
This author used to just write a good story. He would have action and definite good guys and bad guys . . . lately though he has a good enough following that he has decided that he is going to write whatever the heck he wants because he knows that people will buy and read his books anyway. I suppose I am an example of that!
This book is about a lawsuit against a big company that has dumped toxic waste into the town's water supply and has caused cancer and death among the residents of the town. Well, I expected therefore that the lawyers and the plaintiff were going to be the main characters and "good guys" of the story. Not what I got! He doesn't stick with these characters really, he jumps each chapter to talk about another set of people and there really isn't a main character.
He moves from the main story and ends up on a soapbox about the state supreme court and getting someone elected onto that court and how the liberals are all bought/elected /controlled by trial lawyers who want big verdicts. Conversely, the conservatives are all bought/elected /controlled by big business, religious, and right to bear arms groups.
What started out to be a nice little story about a women who lost her husband and child to cancer and won a $41 Million verdict became a diatribe about legal processes and politics in the judicial system. The book ended with the case being reversed at the state level, the Company getting off scot-free and then to make the point even more clear, the ending is the owner of the company (the one who knowingly dumped toxic waste) earning several billion dollars in market share because he made his company look bad so that the stock plummeted, then bought up millions of shares of his company, all the while knowing that he bought a supreme court justice so that the verdict would be reversed and the stock would skyrocket! Further insult - the final chapter is the multi-billionaire on his brand new mega-yacht (which sleeps 200) having a party!!
I just wanted a nice little story! What in the heck?! I should have just stuck to episodes of Law and Order on TNT - at least I know what to expect and in the majority of cases, the ending turns out right!
2 comments:
I hate it when books disappoint you like that!
So what is the best book you have read lately?
I am reading "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon. It is told from the perspective of a high-functioning autisic man. It is facinating to see how his brain works and to see the prejudice that people have even though this guy is smarter than them all! He just doesn't communicate as they do.
I also loved The Kite Runner and the Twightlight series.
Post a Comment