I have learned something about myself. I used to hate to make a decision- still do to some extent. I didn't want to decide on something and then have someone else get mad, or feel bad because they didn't agree. I have learned that it is more annoying to be wishy-washy and most people just are happy to have someone else decide.
I have been planning a business trip to Europe for the past month and have made appointments with people in four countries. I asked my boss if it was okay for me to go and he basically said "well if you need to". I gave him details of the things that I wanted to accomplish and why I thought now would be a good time to go and I still just got back "if you think it would be a good idea". I even went so far as to say "I think I should go but ultimately, it is your decision and you can decide whether it is in the budget . . .". Well, come today, they are trying to finalize the plane tickets after my boss has okayed it with his boss (he just does not want to decide if it's okay for me to go) and the tickets cost more than the other people I am traveling with because I want to leave Sunday morning and they are leaving Saturday morning. This makes a $700-$1,000 difference in the ticket price. But I have a choir concert Saturday night that I don't want to miss. So, then it all goes back to the group who say, "well, I'll leave it up to you to decide since it is your budget" "well, since you are in charge of the Europe market, I'll let you decide" "well, no one told me that there was a trip planned, but I guess she needs to go" etcetera, etcetera, etcetera!
How blasted hard is it for someone to say - "she needs to go, lets make it as inexpensive as we can - but she's going"? Or, almost as acceptable at this point "it's too costly, she shouldn't go"! I'm about ready to withdraw from the trip just so that no one has to actually make the decision! Maybe I should just quit my job and then they wouldn't have to decide if $1,900 is to costly for a plane ticket to Europe. Holy cow. I vow today to be more decisive in the future.
1 comment:
K.., this what I get for havign my sister in town and not checking blogs! I have tons of entries un-read by me. What a fun treat! Sorry about Europe. What a pain!
Post a Comment