Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Arbor Day

A few Fridays ago, Scott chopped down our pine tree. The summer before last, when we had no lawn, we kind of burned our pine tree to death. I am not used to actively watering mature trees and it didn't dawn on me that since we weren't watering lawn, we also weren't watering trees. Our deciduous tree had leaves that were horribly burned but seems to have made it through and came back. Our Pine tree however, was looking really dead this spring. Since I hope to be planting the flower beds this year, I didn't want to plant around the tree (hoping it would live) only to have to dig up my bushes and flowers when/if we have determine it is for sure dead in a few years. I am risk averse so Scott chopped it down. We have now only to dig out the stump (we've been putting that off because we know it will be a big project).

The funny part was that the Sunday after we pulled out the tree, our neighbor teased us "I think you are supposed to plant a tree on Arbor Day not rip one out!" They found it very ironic that we happened to pick Arbor Day to denude the earth. How very un-green of us!


To make up for it we planted a Shademaster Locust on Monday night (daddy, are you proud?) and are planning to plant a Crimson Sentry Maple in the place of the pine tree. We also planted Skyrocket Junipers a few weeks ago and a boxwood and Japanese maple, so I think that we might be square with the environmentalists. And for extra measure, I bought some reusable cloth bags at the grocery store (now we have to see whether or not I actually remember to take them with me to the store).

5 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Not sure how I missed this post... I'm kind of sad your big pine tree is gone. I like pine trees. But if it was dead then what can you do? I'm planning to plant a Shademaster Locust in my backyard. Daddy must be pleased that we keep taking his yard advice. :)

LindaO said...

Seriously.., did you post just pop up?? I love the new trees. I can't wait for your flowers beds.., you know I'm a geek like that and love the gardening stuff!

Mary said...

Looks good. I really like the sky rocket junipers. Usually I'm not a big fan but those look good. Can't wait to see what else your yard has in store. (Blogger must have issues because your post didn't jump to the top of my list either...)

Camilla Millar said...

I LOVE japanese maples (good call).

If you are like me you will never bring your 'green' bags to the store--even if you leave them in your car. I have given up completely.

LindaO said...

k.., i want to plant some of those little Christmas trees like you havem but Dan won;t let me!!!! He also won't let me have a tree in the front yard! He's just not catching my vision.