Saturday, March 19, 2011

potty training

how do you know amist your non-success, whether you should be patient and give it more time or say "she's not ready"? Is it an option to say "mom's not ready"? I'm not feeling optimistic on day 3

2 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I started with Lilian when she was 2 and 1/2. After about 3 days or so I decided I was putting a halt on it for awhile. I have no doubt Lilian would've picked it up eventually. But I, personally, wasn't ready for it yet. So we quit. Put the potty, the new underpants and the incentive chart away. Waited about 4 more months or so. Then picked it all back up again...this time both of us were ready and more willing to really make it work. And it was MUCH easier.

The Pierce Family said...

People thought I was crazy to wait to potty train my twins until one month before their 3rd B-day. (It was a convenient time for me due to summer vacation from teaching school, and I could be there every day to follow through.) Though it was my first attempt to potty train a child, I think waiting was worth it, just because they caught on so fast and easily. Jeni was pretty much trained in one day (though I basically spent all day in the bathroom with her), and Jocelyn took maybe two weeks. Very few accidents after that, and fairly easy peasy. They were SO ready by that age. But I know lots of other kids that can learn quickly at much younger ages too. I would say keep trying as long as your daughter seems to enjoy it and is cooperative AND continues to make progress (i.e. fewer and fewer accidents). Potty training is such a pain, so good luck!!