Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Zurich

Zurich. The land that Scott loves. Scott served his mission in Zurich, Switzerland so I feel a special affinity for the country because I know he loves it so much. This is the Limmat river looking out over two of the three famous churches in the city - the Fraumünster (the blue spire) and St. Peterskirche (the spire with the clock).
The spire of St. Peterskirche has the largest clock face in all of Europe. It was an interesting church because the interior could have been an LDS tabernacle. It was just so surprising after all the dark, Gothic churches I have visited in other countries, and in fact, in Switzerland too. Really lovely, and light, and it felt familiar. Above is the Grossmünster church. It was a monastery that according to Wikipedia, vied for precedence with the Fraumünster (the abby) across the Limmat river.
As you can see, it was wet and SOOOOO cold! We braved the snow/rain with our umbrellas and coats (thanks Katie for the umbrella and thanks Scott for making me take a real coat) and went sightseeing anyhow. The funny thing - maybe sad - is that the only really purchase I made in the whole of this Europe trip was a scarf (all Europeans wear scarves). That's not sad you might think, but what makes it sad, is that I bought it from Claire's. Yup, the American store where you probably went to get your ears pierced when you were in Junior High. Ah well, at least it was cheap!

No comments: