The Saturday before Mother's Day I was finishing up a shopping trip at Wal-Mart in Sandy. As Maddy and I exited the store a man with a rose approached me and said "Will you accept this rose?" I was a bit flummoxed and must have looked it. He quickly followed up with "I just would like a hug in return". What was this guy's angle? This is not normal. Should I be worried?
I looked around and there were two girls standing off to the side and they each held several more long-stemmed roses.
Still feeling a bit sceptical but thinking that this must be some kind of bet I said "What do you get out of it?"
He replied "I get to give someone a hug and hopefully make their day a bit better!"
Oh. Again, surprised. I gave him his hug and walked off with my rose. When I got to my car I looked back to see a stream of women and girls exiting Wal-Mart all with roses and at least two men standing there giving them to the ladies.
I then felt mixed emotions. Gratitude for the truly nice gesture and Sadness that in this world I am so sceptical of the intentions of a nice looking (he was nice looking) man standing outside a Wal-Mart offering a hug and a rose. I decided to focus on the gratitude because it did truly have me smiling as I left the parking lot.
2 comments:
I was afraid he would want to propose next since that seems to be the line used in "The Bachelor" all the time. ha ha ha. Anyways - SUPER fun to catch up on your blog tonight. I need to read it more often!
It's one thing to give flowers to ladies coming out of the store. It's another to ask for a hug in return though! That seems to go a bit too far. Still, maybe I'm being skeptical as well.
Post a Comment