Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Yard Saling (yes, it's a word - isn't it?)

Once a year we take a Saturday morning, meet at 7:30 am and go Yard Saling. Last Saturday was our outing for the year.

(don't you just love how that noun has become a verb by just adding "ing"? Perhaps that verb is not accepted anywhere but between me and my girlfriends. Who knows.)

Linda, Kim, Angela and I pile into the biggest vehicle we have, take a quick glance at the list Linda has compiled after combing through ads on KSL and Craig's List, and we head out.
 The bad (good?) thing is we all have kids about the same age so we are looking for toys and play things that tend to take up quit a bit of room. So, out come the tie downs to keep things from falling out. We hold things on our laps and at our feet. And occasionally we actually have to come back later for things that don't fit. This year Kim bought a free standing basketball standard that she had to go back for. Last year, it was a playhouse for me. The trick here is not forgetting where the house is that has your already purchased item!
Once we get back to our starting place just before lunch, we pull everything out and split it up and pack it back in the cars we came in, hoping there is enough space to get it home.
 For $60 I got some great hard back picture books ($1 each), shoes for me (they are cuter than they look in that picture I promise), my favorite game (somebody want to come play Rummikub with me? Marie?), a lamp I'm currently spray painting robin's egg blue.
 Nope, that's not all, also a picnic table, toy kitchen (really great wooden one), umbrella, bicycle w/training wheels, doll carrier and highchair, booster seat, and good snow boots for next winter for Maddy.

Did I mention that was all for $60? And actually, that $60 also covered a bagel with cream cheese and a 32 oz. Diet Coke. SCORE!

Not so sure that Scott was happy to see all someone else's junk come to rest at our house but I thought I did awesome. All the play toys got scrubbed (thank you Magic Eraser), sanitized, and hosed off and then taken down to the basement. With more toys downstairs I'm hoping Maddy's bedroom might be a bit less cluttered and maybe I'll go down with her and exercise while she plays . . . Maybe!

2 comments:

Marie said...

You did awesome! $60 for all that? Wow! Yes, I would love to come and play Rummikub! Another new one I just recently came across was Qwirkle (probably won't find it at any yard sale), but lots of fun :)

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

My in-laws go garage saling...saleing??? as often as they possibly can and take my kids when they are with them. Brandon came home with a huge (once upon a time) beautiful painting of France that he graciously gifted me. Except that it's horribly faded which is why, I'm sure, it was for sale. Luckily Lilian thinks it is beautiful so I guess we'll hang it in her room. :) But yes, you can get some awesome stuff at yard sales!